Johnson Family

Johnson Family
Christmas 2009

The girls...

The girls...

The boys!!!

The boys!!!

Rylie Rebecca

Rylie Rebecca
Little Lady

Chase Matthew

Chase Matthew
little warrior...

About Me

My photo
A busy stay @ home mom. What can I say? My life revolves around my family. I make sure life is neat and tidy with good blood sugars!!!

Followers

Us

Us
..awe

Abe...

Abe...
puppy love!!!

JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes

JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes
Team "Chase the Cure" 2009

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

20 Things I've missed out on with my Zackary...

My dear friend Mindy, who also lost a child - encouraged me to write 20 things I love about my son. I didn't get to be his "mommy" in the way that I wished to have been. He was a hospital baby, mine...but they called the shots. Anyways, I'm sure I could come up with some. But I have been without him longer than I had him - and have missed some very important things with him if he could have lived...
So this is my list of 20 things that I have missed out...
1. I didn't get to hold Zack right after he was born. They took him immediately, and I didn't know what my son looked like about 10 hours. I knew he had a heart defect - but not the features of my newborn child's face/body...
2. We didn't get to bring Zack home. We came to the hospital with a infant carrier, a diaper bag full of stuff - and they all went home with us. Full diaper bag - empty carseat...
3. I never got to breastfeed my son like I had planned. I was a pumping fool for 2 months. I hated it!!! Zack got my milk once - in a tube through his nose.
4. We didn't get a chance to wake up in the middle of the night with him and take care of him. We were sleep deprived, but for a very different reason.
5. We didn't get to put clothes on our son. I remember Matt and I going on this little baby boy shopping spree before he was born. We picked out the cutest little man clothes. We were so excited getting him these things. I remember how excited Matt was especially for a couple of outfits - they totally looked like Matt clothes, just much much smaller versions...
6. I didn't get to bring my baby home from the hospital...again! This time from LPCH - Stanford. My son passed away after 2 months of "living" there... or "dying" there. - whatever.......................
7. We didn't get to have any holidays with him except Easter. But that was at LPCH... I remember being very sad on Christmas Day - it would have been his 1st Christmas, and he wasn't there. I just slept the afternoon away.
8. We didn't get to celebrate Zack's 1st b-day. I was a total effing wreck! I was working at the pharmacy, and just could barely get through the day. It was hard...still is!
9. I didn't get to take my son to his pediatrician's appointments. He didn't get immunizations...
10. My son never got his 1st tooth...
11. We didn't get to give him any baths...
12. He never got to meet his little sister and little brother
13. He didn't get to crawl or take his 1st steps.
14. He didn't get to taste food
15. He didnt' get to say his 1st words
16. He didn't get to learn to ride a bike
17. He didn't get to push cars around - like Chase does all the time!
18. He didn't get to go to his 1st day of school. Last year, he would have been going to Kindergarten. That stung me pretty good. I had a hard day that 1st day of school. I could have been taking Zack if he was still here.
19. I don't get to kiss and hug my son anymore.
20. I don't get to watch him grow up and get married and have a family of his own.....................

- So this was not easy to get through, it's hard holding back my tears. The lump in my throat...it hurts! Life's not fair. It's a double edged sword. I have been so blessed in my life. A wonderful husband who shows me daily how much he loves me. Three beautiful incredible children. One taken from me and one with Type 1 Diabetes. I may never know why my life is destined for some incredible hardships. But I must have faith that the Lord knows my heart and will lead me in the right direction. I'm complicated to understand. I don't get myself most days. I am not yet the woman I would like to be. I am hoping that now entering my 30's - I will find that. I am not who I want and need to be in my mind yet. I can only hope that Zack was proud of us...of our decision to let him go with God...instead of us. I have my peace...that's all I can ask for right now.

3 comments:

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

You missed out on soooooo much with Zacky...and for the rest of your life, those miles stones will be mourned. I love what you wrote. I love reading your feelings. I love that I knew Zacky. I love that Zack and Trin brought us together to be forever bonded. I just don't love that we have to mourn our babies the rest of our lives. I wish things were different. I wish Zack and Trinity were both asleep in their beds right now and ready to get up tomorrow morning for their 1st grade class. I love you jess! Thank you for writting about Zack!

Things I remember about Zack:

1. His pointy nose
2. His HUGE eyes
3. His long fingers
4. His long toes
5. His skinny long legs
6. His skinny long arms
7. His hats...you dressed him in hats and booties regularly
8. I remember being at his bedside one day, we were talking, and he just kept looking at you...he was so observant. He knew his mommy was there, and he knew he was loved.

I miss Zack. I remember when Matt told us he wasn't going to make it. I remember exactly where I stood. I remember that sad day...I'm so sorry Jess. I'm crying right along with you! I love you Jess and I love your beautiful Zackary...I am so honored that I'm one of the few people that truly got to know him during his short life here. He'll never be forgotten.

Johnsons Away said...

I can only imagine how hard taht was for yo. I remember talking about it with you and I want you to know how much I admire you and Matt. You are amazing people and have amazing children. There is no doubt in my mind that Zacky would have and is proud of you and Matt. You are amazing parents and you are an amazing women. Know that I love you and think of you often. Thank you for sharing you feelings.

Rebecca said...

You're an inspirational mama. Thankyou for your vulnerability and openness. I pray that the Lord continues to heal you from this pain and loss and redeems Zachary's life fully for His glory.

Even in your writing of pain and loss, you still are bringing hope to others by the life you are continuing to live with the love you bestow on your husband and children and the joy your family is filled with.

I loved your friend Melinda's comments on what she remembered about Zack. Especially point #8. What a special and significant memory.:)